Do not move bus stop to 156 Swann Road, Taringa
|Principal Petitioner||Jenny Strong, Taringa Qld Australia|
|Date Closed||Mon, 03 Jul 2017 This epetition has ended|
|No. of signatures||44 signatures (View signatures)|
Residents draw to the attention of the Lord Mayor of Brisbane City Council, with a copy to Cr Julian Simmonds. We the undersigned request that Council take no action with respect to moving the bus stop to 156 Swann Road, Taringa, and express our opposition to this proposal. Reasons for this request:
1) The corner from Lucinda Street to 156 Swann Road, Taringa, is a known and well documented/observed accident area, so that it would be unsafe to locate a bus stop here. There have been at least 5 major accidents with personal injuries at this location over the least 4 years. To locate a bus stop here would just increase the number of accidents. Details of the accident and witnesses to them can be supplied.
2) It is already very difficult for vehicles to access or leave number 150 Swann Road, Taringa, because of it being close to the very dangerous corner with no line of sight, and to relocate a bus stop here would seriously increase the problem. It would also impact adversely on access and egress from number 156. Council should not be permitted to place a bus stop within 15 metres of the access roads to number 156 and number 150, which we think may be illegal.
3) There is no need to improve safety at the pedestrian crossing and the concerns about there being a need are exaggerated and unfounded. Enquires were made as to any documentation of “near misses” at the crossing, and none were recorded. It is known that on occasions people have tried to cross when the bus has not left the bus stop - what a dangerous thing to do. This could be rectified by adding a sign at the crossing “Do not cross when a bus is at the bus-stop”.
4) The proposed move would require the destruction of up to 3 trees and would render this stretch of the road unsightly.
5) It would also require the destruction of the letter boxes, the hedge and access ways at 156 Swann Road, Taringa, and would render the garden useless or at least less attractive.
6) A bus stop opposite Victoria Street, Taringa, would be dangerous.
Your petitioners therefore request that the bus stop NOT be relocated to 156 Swann Road, Taringa, and that no changes are made to the pedestrian crossing.
Thank you for your petition requesting that Council not relocate the bus stop currently located outside 162 Swann Road, Taringa, to 156 Swann Road.
Your petition has been investigated and it was considered by Council at its meeting held on 22 August 2017. It was decided that the petitioners be advised of the information below.
Prior to this petition and due to concerns raised by the local community about pedestrian safety in the area, Council investigated improvements to an existing zebra crossing located outside 162 Swann Road. Funding for design and construction to enhance the zebra crossing located outside 162 Swann Road was provided in the 2016-17 Budget.
During the design stage, it was determined that in order to bring the site to current zebra crossing design standards under the Queensland Government’s Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, the bus stop located outside 162 Swann Road would need to be relocated approximately 20 metres west towards 156 Swann Road to achieve sight line requirements.
Community consultation was undertaken from 23 January to 4 March 2017 with directly affected residents, outlining the concept and preliminary design. Residents were informed that Council was seeking their feedback with regards to the proposed zebra crossing improvement including the relocation of the bus stop from 162 Swann Road to 156 Swann Road.
Following consideration of the results of this consultation process, Council does not intend to relocate the bus stop located outside 162 Swann Road to 156 Swann Road, as the results of the community consultation shows a majority of residents do not support the bus stop relocation. Unfortunately, Council can not undertake the project to enhance the zebra crossing located outside 162 Swann Road, Taringa.