Make Venner Road safer for residents
|Principal Petitioner||Jennifer Knight, Yeronga|
|Date Closed||Tue, 13 Nov 2018 This epetition has ended|
|No. of signatures||222 signatures (View signatures)|
Recent events have once again shown how dangerous Venner Road, Annerley is for local residents. A pedestrian was tragically killed by an out-of-control vehicle on Monday 20th August while on his daily walk. He was hit as a result of a two car collision while waiting on the footpath for a break in traffic. While changing conditions to Venner Road could not have saved this pedestrian, it has highlighted the need for drastic changes to pedestrian access across Venner Road to protect people. I am proposing that the Brisbane City Council implement two changes to make the road safer:
1. Close off Lagonda Street from Venner Road; still allow a left-hand turn from Lagonda Street.
2. Install a pedestrian light crossing on the western side of Frederick Street across to Lagonda Street. This will provide safe pedestrian access to Fairfield Train Station.
Please sign this petition so that the death of this pedestrian isn't in vain. He fought hard for a safer road and unfortunately predicted his own death. Brisbane City Council need to address the safety concerns of this road now! https://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/city/venner-rd-by-pass-council-election-issue/news-story/3e57e02923304887a4ecdcb119dbf137
Two changes to the area including:
- Closing Lagonda Street to traffic while still allowing a left-hand turn onto Venner Road.
- Reducing the speed limit to 40km/h
- Installing a right hand turning lane at the top of Venner Road onto Ipswich Road
- A light pedestrian crossing on the western side of Frederick Street to Lagonda.