Petitions | Brisbane City Council

Monkey Bars for Badrick Park, Inwood Place, The Gap

Principal Petitioner Feargal Gallagher, The Gap
Date Closed Sun, 20 May 2018 This epetition has ended
No. of signatures 5 signatures

(View signatures)

Residents draw to the attention of the Brisbane City Council. The children who use Badrick Park in Inwood Place, The Gap, would like Monkey Bars to be added to the playground in the park. The park is very popular, but Monkey Bars would be a great addition. They would provide upper body and core strength exercise for the children, which the equipment in the park currently does not do. They would make the park even more attractive to local children and encourage them to get out in the fresh air and enjoy exercising and playing together, making them more fit and sociable. We appreciate the fine new equipment that was recently installed in Badrick Park, but some of the children were very disappointed when they realised that Monkey Bars were not part of the refit, so we would like Council to address this oversight.

Your petitioners therefore request that a set of Monkey Bars for children aged 6-12 be installed in Badrick Park, Inwood Place, The Gap.

Council response

Thank you for your petition requesting that Council install monkey bars in Badrick Place Park, Inwood Place, The Gap.

Council has completed an investigation and considered your request. It was decided that the petitioners be advised of the following information.

The installation of monkey bars in Badrick Place Park, The Gap, has been listed for future consideration as part of Council’s capital works program. Each June, all listed projects are prioritised and assessed against the overall needs of the city. Approved works have the highest priority in terms of public safety, convenience and the number of people directly benefiting in relation to the cost.

Your request has also been forward to Councillor Steven Toomey, Councillor for The Gap Ward, for consideration as part of The Gap Ward, Ward Footpath and Parks Trust Fund. Before a decision can be determined, community consultation will need to be conducted with local residents.

Each year the Lord Mayor provides a funding allocation from the Ward Footpath and Parks Trust Fund program to each Ward for the provision of new or replacement play equipment and footpaths for their ward. If you wish to discuss your request with Councillor Toomey, please contact The Gap Ward Office on (07) 3407 1900.